Sunday, March 28, 2010

Gluten free Bread Recipe!

One thing that more and more people are having problems with these days is wheat or gluten. Going wheat free is becoming a much easier thing to do these days than it was five or ten years ago. there are a lot of great products out there especially in health food and specialty stores now. I have had an intolerance to gluten since I was in my early twenties and I have experimented with A LOT of recipes. As of late, a finally feel that I have come up with a gluten free bread that is really good. I hope some one out there who dreams of eating bread once again enjoys this. You can go heavier on the rice flour to make it more "whole grain" or substitute more tapioca for more of a "white" bread.

Special note: I want to say I just tried a bread from a brand called udis and it had a lot of tapioca and potato flour. I am going to work on my recipe the next few weeks because although it is good, I want it to have that spongey light texture and udis really cracked the code on that, I will update the recipe as I improve it, wish me luck!

Em's gluten-free bread

1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 T yeast
1 T guar gum
1 tsp sea salt
1 T cane sugar, honey or sweetener of your choice
about 1/2 C warm water

Combine dry ingredients

Heat water until warm, add to 1/2 of the dry mixture and stir well.
You can add water if it is to dry.

add the rest of the dry mix until you get a moldable dough like consistency.

Press in to a greased bread pan, brush the top of the loaf with oil or butter to avoid cracking. Let bread sit for 1 hr at about 115 degrees if possible. If you can set your oven as low as 120 degrees that should work. Your bread should rise to double it's size just like the real thing!

Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for about 25-30 minutes.

Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. A little cornstarch might do the trick for your bread. I make a gluten free shortcake that only uses cornstarch for the 'flour' and it is out of this world good!

    ReplyDelete