Monday, February 1, 2010

Vitamin C from Camu Camu

This amazing little tropical fruit is my first topic because I am about to try it myself. I started to have an aversion to taking my vitamin c even though it was highly recommended by my naturopath long ago for some immunity issues. I recently heard that acerola vitamin c was a high quality source because it was natural not synthetic. It never occurred to me that my vitamin c could be synthetic. I did a little investigating and found that my c supplement was in fact produced in a lab. apparently synthetic powders are not efficiently assimilated by the body and can cause iron deficiencies such as anemia! I have been diagnosed as anemic so I'm glad I am switching over to a natural source. There are a few different natural sources of vitamin C. I am trying Camu Camu because it has the highest vitamin C content of any substance known. It has 380 mg per 1/2 tsp! Acerola is great too but only has 90 mg per 1/2 tsp.
For more bang for my buck I'm going for the Camu Camu and found some on sale for $15.49 a pound plus shipping on ebay. I found other benefits of camu camu besides the immune system boost it provides such as it fights against seasonal affective disorder, maintains excellent eyesight, creates beautiful skin, wards of viral infections, supports strong collagen, tendons and ligaments, decreases inflammation, improves lung health, helps clarity of mind, the list seems to go on! I'll let you know how this one works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment